Thursday 5 September 2013

Sephora Atomic Volume mascara in blue review


I've been wondering what to write in this review for quite a long while.
This mascara somehow failed to impress me at first sight, a meh kind of product it was for me, but then each time when I applied it preparing to write my review and trying to figure out what I didn't like about it, I couldn't put my finger on anything in particular. And in time the mascara only got better. 


The reason why I got this mascara is that I love blue mascara in the summer, and from time to time throughout the year as well, but believe it or not getting a decent blue mascara in Poland is not as easy as it would seem.
My Chanel mascara turned out to be a disaster and disappeared at light speed and needed urgent replacement, so when I saw that actually a couple of blue mascaras were available from Sephora's own brand I hesitated no longer. I was quite puzzled at which one to pick, my choice finally was the one which promised most volume.

I didn't like the wand from the beginning but I had no choice, the mascaras with wands I liked offered no volume, just length or separation. The wand is the plastic one with rows of bristles that look like combs. Quite spiky. And unlike most other brushes it doesn't have conical shape, it's just the same size top to bottom. To my surprise it coats top lashes quite nicely, but doesn't manage bottom ones at all. The bristles are so sparse that it takes ages to make bristles and bottom lashes meet. Wiggling the wand on the bottom lashline ends up with smudging.

As for the promised volume, the drier the formula gets in time, the more volume it gives. About a month after I first opened the mascara the formula thickened and actually gives me full-body lashes. However, if separated, clump-free lashes are what you're after, avoid this mascara like hell. The volume builds up by loading mascara on the lashes and glueing them together. I must say that I enjoy this kind of look from time to time, and with a bit of effort and the right tools you may comb the clumps out of your lashes if you want. But when you add extra coats the mascara starts to flake.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that this mascara doesn't smudge on me. I hardly ever set my concealer with powder and this mascara has never given me blue panda eyes. I don't take it off during my afternoon naps and it doesn't flake or smudge either. In this respect this is a winner cause such mascaras are hard to get. 

As far as the blue shade is concerned, I find it very pretty. It's just how I like it, not too pale, not too vibrant but very definitely blue.

Overall, I don't quite know what to say about this mascara. I can't find any major flaws in it, yet somehow it's not my favourite. If I can't find any better blue mascara to replace this one, I still feel tempted to expolre the Sephora line further, but Atomic Volume is not the one I will repurchase.




Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment